Should We Be Called "Mommy Bloggers"?


Mommy [Mom] Blogger is what most of us are called, but is that a complimentary or derogatory term?  

It really depends on who you ask.  Personally, I embrace the term Mommy Blogger because that's just what I am.  My blog doesn't specifically have a niche, I post about anything that I feel passionate about and I am a mommy of two wonderful girls.  I don't know why I would want to be called anything else.  To me, a creative mind, the term blogger just sounds and feels so flat.  (Yes, that "Mommy" before it really spruces it up!) However many journalists and writers that "just don't understand" give mommy bloggers a bad name; that's why many want to be known strictly as bloggers or writers.  


Some writers find it unfair that moms that blog make money, are well known, get to test products or dare to consider what we do a business or a job at all.  These are mostly hardcore professional writers and journalists who are not "in the know".  I'd like to say they're mostly men who can't put themselves into our shoes and that's why they throw tomatoes at us, but there have been a few women journalists who have done the same.  It's a shame that they flame us without taking the time to read what we do and visit our sites.  We take the time to write and research our articles/blog posts and actually are among the most influential writers on the internet today.  Mom bloggers are really taking over since we're educated, knowledgeable and know the right things to say to get other moms to relate to us.  

I have my own personal insight into who would be considered a mommy blogger. As I said before, I do consider myself a mom blogger since I don't have a niche and I'm a mom.  I believe any blogger who either has or doesn't have a niche and also throws in posts about her life, parenting and children is a mommy blogger since she incorporates her life as a parent.  However if someone is a mom and writes a strictly craft blog, recipe blog, food blog, review blog, fashion blog, etc... and does not incorporate her parenting life; she would be considered what she is.  (Fashion blogger, craft blogger, review blogger, etc...)  I think it's also about what you want to be called and what title you see yourself in.  

Does the term mommy blogger sound unprofessional to you?  Some say that term invokes visions of parents sitting on their computer, couch or bed with their laptops in PJ's, fuzzy slippers and a cup of coffee with their children in tow. Those same people feel that term isn't professional since it doesn't invoke visions of a fully loaded home office.  Honestly, even if you were working at home being a customer service agent, consultant and so on... you probably would still want to sit there in your lounge pants or PJ's and work.  I doubt that anyone who works at home wants to get dressed in business suits to sit in their home office and work all day.  Working from home has it's advantages and one of the advantages of telecommuting is not having to spend money on a wardrobe or thousands of dollars on equipment.  However I do understand the stand on the term sounding slightly unprofessional.  

When you think of the term, mommy blogger, do you think of moms in sweat suits with a diaper bag running around with their DSLR snapping photos of their little ones to post on their blog?  Do you think of moms with coffee and bathrobes with messy buns on their couches with their laptops? Do you relate it to a mom in a home office researching and writing on her topic of her blog post?

What is your opinion?
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comments:

Anonymous,  November 11, 2011 at 9:32 AM  

Hi, new follower here from the Friendly Friday Hop, http://babyfeetandpuppybreath.blogspot.com/
Hope you can drop in, say hello and follow me back.

I am really looking forward to reading more of your very informative blog.

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital